Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Drug induced hallucinations

After the last one week of watching my beloved Husband go through a truly incredible, truly awful bout of hallucinations, brought about by the liquid morphine prescribed to him by the pain management doctor, my question is... WHY do people do drugs voluntarily?

Do they LIKE having these hallucinations? Why, oh, WHY?

It was really scary for my Husband. In his lucid moments he tells me "I am so scared, I don't know what is real and what is not.", and believe me, just watching him was pretty scary. I don't think my parents quite "got" it when I tried explaining it to them, but when they came over to keep an eye on Husband while I went grocery shopping, they really understood it! Reduced my Mum to tears, as she was so upset to see what he was going through.

He literally did not sleep for 4 days and 3 nights. He was incredibly hyper, could not sit or lie still for longer than 5 minutes at a time, was talking to people who were not there, scolding someone for smoking in our house, asking me to check him out and take him home, sitting out on the balcony having an animated conversation with nobody, wondering which country he was in, having breakfast in the morning and ten minutes later asking me whether I would be having dinner ready any time soon, telling me that he is definitely going to die in a few weeks, and the list goes on and on.

And he was TERRIFIED whenever he was aware that he was hallucinating.

Well, I am just happy that he is no longer on the liquid morphine, having been put on slow release morphine tablets instead, which do not have the same "high" affect of the liquid stuff.

So, what is the attraction to drugs? Why do people want to do this to themselves? Maybe I can kinda understand why desperate people, who have nothing to look forward to, can go for that. But why is it that even the rich and the well-off do drugs? They have to be some kind of crazy!

But then, that is just my point of view!

No comments: