So, what's happened since my last posting? Well, here is the list of cakes we've done in the last 5 days (not counting Fridays, as that is the day we do assessments):
- we finished the Raspberry Choc tart with its topping of Chiboust cream
And we made:
- Chocolate Mousse with Creme Brulee
- Alliance Cake (talk about gooey, sweet, sticky!!)
- St. Madeleine
- Vanilla Bavarian Cream Cake with Strawberry Jelly
- Harmonie
- and Black Forest
All of these, except the Black Forest, are "mousse"-y cakes, which generally means you make each component, start putting it together, and then have to let it set overnight so it gets properly chilled and set. And since I like mousse even less than I like normal cakes.... well... I don't see myself making these at home (that's the nicest way to put it!!).
Having said that, the Harmonie is actually quite a nice cake. Here's a picture of the Harmonie:
And now the rest of the cakes:
Ahh, the chocolate raspberry tart with the chocolate chiboust cream on top. Gave this to my neighbour, and they are still talking to us, so it must have been reasonably good :-D:
The Choc Mousse with Creme Brulee. Covered with Chocolate glaze to give it a nice smooth shiny finish, and then decorated.
Here's the Black Forest. My mum's favourite cake at one time :-). And Yes, I did it by myself, including the deco!
Next up, the Vanilla Bavarian Cream Cake, with the jelly layer. This was a lovely, light, berry flavoured cake. My sister and her sons said it suffered from a "lack of chocolate". I think you can tell who the chocolate nuts in the family are!:
Here's the St Madeleine sponge. The sponge has a layer of caramelised banana baked with it! And the two sponge layers are joined with pastry cream, mixed with whipped cream and caramelised hazelnuts:
Next up, the Alliance cake. Now this was SWEET, SWEET, SWEET! Way over the top for me! This has a layer of dacquoise or macaroon molleuse (VERY sweet) as the base, layered with Chocolate Mousseline over that, then a layer of chocolate sponge cake, then a layer of Pastry cream mixed with hazelnut praline. Every layer is so sweet, so you can imagine how OTT the sweetness is!
For last weeks assessment on Friday, we had to do an Opera Cake and macaroons. Both turned out reasonably well - especially since my one and only prior attempt at macaroons had failed miserably! I did cinnamon flavoured macaroons, and then sandwiched them together with raspberry jam. Am happy to say that the macaroons turned out the right texture and height, but have to learn how to make them a consistent SIZE! The Opera, of course, was scrumptious, but I gave it to our wonderful office manager for her and her son, as I KNOW that if I had brought it home I would have scoffed the whole lot - as the Opera is definitely one cake I DO like!
We did the Alliance cake for the assessment yesterday (Friday), and because we had to do it all in one day, the chocolate mousseline did not set properly, so it was just a wee bit tooooo soft. That is the problem with all the cakes that are "mousse" based, especially if no gelatine is added. It HAS to set overnight for it to be firm enough to be unmoulded and sliced without it collapsing. I am happy to say that I was able to unmould the Alliance cake I made for the assessment, but decided NOT to slice it as the choc mousseline would have given way. One of my classmates DID slice the one she made, but the mousseline melted almost immediately. Our lovely warm climate is not suitable for keeping mousse based cakes out in the open! EVEN in an air-conditioned room! We also did the Florentine cookie, and that was OK, though the pastry base was just a wee bit too thick and, as a result of that maybe(?), slightly under-baked. Still tasted darned good though!
The next two weeks should not see too much in the way of baking, as we are going to be learning the art of Dessert Plating! Hmm, and me not being a particularly artistic or creative person, it will be interesting to see what Chef Frederic can drum into my head about that 'art'! :-p
Other, non-baking, events of the week .... well, for starters, I went and de-frizzed my hair. And MAN that has brought out the white part of my hair (the entire front portion basically) so clearly. And it is funny how many people have asked where I coloured my hair as it looks good, and I have to tell them that, actually, that IS my natural hair colour :-D. I guess not too many people actually want to admit they have white hair, let alone flaunt it!!
Met up, last night, with some old schoolmates of mine, from UK days - great dinner with Mala, Fouzia, and Masnoon, and Mala's mum! Hoping it won't be another 30+ years before we meet again!
Final piece of news, very sad though, is that my sisters mother-in-law passed away this morning, very suddenly. My thoughts, prayers, and love, to my brother-in-law (TJ) and his brothers and sister and most of all to their father, on her demise. I am just glad for her that she did not have to suffer being bed-ridden in hospital for any duration.
Till next time, my friends, stay safe, stay happy, stay well.
No comments:
Post a Comment