Saturday, February 18, 2012

Are all govts this strange?

To be fair, the govt of this country is the only one I am really familiar with, as this is MY country, and it makes a difference to me. Whichever other country I may live in, the fact of the matter is that I am not a citizen of that country. THIS country, however, I AM a citizen of, and the policies and practices of this govt, this country, DO affect me.

So, are all govts this strange?

I mean, is it always a case of "Do what I TELL you to do, but don't do what I do". They crap up the local education system (which USED to be very very good) by constantly changing the education policies, without giving those policies enough time to be really tried and tested, before they are changing them again. Insist on teaching in all Malay, which is not necessarily a bad thing if they can also teach ENGLISH well (so at least we do not lose out in the globalised economy), but the teachers themselves are sorely lacking in the necessary skills to teach English, so everyone suffers - teachers and students. And these govt ministers who make all these flip-flop decisions, well, their kids don't get affected - because they can afford to send them overseas to study, and they DO send their kids overseas to study. None of this messed up local education for them, thank you very much!

And coming to the question of AFFORDABILITY.... this USED to be an affordable country even from the perspective of locals. But that was 30 years ago. Nowadays, the cost of living has gone up HUGELY, but salaries have barely budged from those days. So, if salaries have gone up 2 - 3%, but cost of living has gone up MINIMUM of 50%, how can life in this country be affordable for most locals? And how can we compare our country to ... say... Singapore? I go to Singapore, I earn a very good salary, and I can afford to live in Singapore. I come back to Malaysia, and the salaries on offer are really LOW, but the cost of living is not that different between Malaysia and Singapore, so how can I afford to live in Malaysia? And don't go through the process of converting something from S$ to MYR and saying that it is more expensive in Singapore. Hey, if you are going to do that, then convert Singapore SALARIES to MYR as well, and THEN do a proper comparison. Or convert everything, salaries, costs, etc, to US$ and do a comparison. If I use my car as an example - Ken and I bought it in Singapore, for S$53K 2.5 years old. The same car, in Malaysia, 3 years old, was going at that time for about MYR110K. So, if one is earning S$10K, and one is earning MYR10K, tell me, which is more affordable? Obviously, on S$10K, I can afford to buy that car in Singapore, much easier than I can afford to buy it here on MYR10K. And if you want to convert all that to MYR, well S$53K is approx MYR130K, while S$10K salary is about MYR24K. So, YES, I can afford that car better in Singapore than I can here! And, NO, if you earn S$10K in Singapore, NOBODY is going to pay you MYR24K for the same job in Malaysia!! If you are lucky, you may get MYR11K for the same job!

And what about corruption? How is it that for the slightest SLIGHTEST suspicion, all the opposition (or non-supporters of the govt) get hauled in by the cops and/or the anti-corruption agency, and get hauled over the coals by all the mainstream media, but when someone from the main govt coalition gets caught red-handed with their hands in the till (well, usually it is more than just HANDS... they kinda dive in and grab!), with PROOF, they don't even get a slap on the wrist? And they can just continue as if nothing has happened? Hey, this is MY MONEY - I AM A TAXPAYER! This is NOT YOUR MONEY!

Oh man, once you start, you can go on and on and on... so, I shall stop for now.

I hope you all have a good day, every day, despite this crap!

No comments: