Monday, March 1, 2010

Exercise is good for you.... OUCH!

Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, keeps saying that exercise is good for you... but, as we all know, we humans are not so great at doing things that are "GOOD" for you, but not necessarily "NICE & EASY" to do. Sigh.

Isn't it just so much easier to... relax, read a good book, meet some friends for a good meal, watch a good movie, lounge on your balcony watching the world go by, have a long cold drink of something refreshing while lying by the pool or on the beach... and the list goes on and on.

We 'normal' people require a major mindset shift to get ourselves into exercise mode. Yes, we know it is 'good' for you, but isn't there any way to make exercise ENJOYABLE? I mean, the aches, the pains, the difficulties in MOVING after exercising, the sweat, the B.O, erghhhh.... and, again, the list goes on and on.

Of course, on the other extreme, you get the people who never seem to stop exercising - apparently the endorphins released into the system give you a major high... but I have yet to experience the endorphin rush! These 'strange' people are in the minority however!!!

From all this, you probably think that I don't do ANY exercise (seeing as I "love" it so much), but you would be wrong (not FAR wrong, but wrong nonetheless!). Yes, I have re-started my exercise routine... hence the aches, the pains, the groans, the creaky bones. For the last one year I have literally done NO exercise as I was just too preoccupied with taking care of my husband. Now that he has passed away, well, I guess I have no excuse any more, especially since I have not started working again (YET) either.

So, here is my routine:
- Mondays, Pilates (at the condo gym, with another 3 ladies)
- Tuesday, Kettlebells (personal training session.. in Bangsar)
- Wednesdays, TAKE A BREAK (hmmm, I might join the ladies at the condo gym for yoga.. let me think about that)
- Thursdays, the gym - treadmill and weights circuit training (at the condo gym)
- Friday, Kettlebells (personal training as per Tuesdays)
... and once in a while I even go swimming!

Sounds good, doesn't it? :-D
Let's hope I can keep it going!

And for those of you wondering what "kettlebells" is all about, Google it.. you will get lots of results. It is interesting, and BEST of all, the instructor makes it FUN! Yes, I kid you not, he is the first personal training instructor I have ever had who is able to vary each session and come up with all kinds of different exercises that are, yes, as always, exhausting BUT because they are different each time, they are never boring, and generally quite fun (some of them are even quite funny).

Now all this does NOT mean that I LIKE exercising, but it does mean that I have recognised my incredible level of UNfitness, and the need to get myself back into some sort of shape (Yes, I know, ROUND is a shape, but it is not my preferred one!). I also need to be able to climb a flight of stairs without gasping for breath, or walk at least short distances (1 - 2km) with feeling like I am going to die at the end of it, and get to the end of the day without feeling like I am going to collapse from exhaustion.

OK, enuff said, now it is time for my "other" form of exercise - HOUSE CLEANING... groan, groan, and triple groan!

No comments: